Welcome to Koh Chang
Ko Chang (Thai: เกาะช้าง, pronounced [kɔ̀ʔ tɕʰáːŋ], also Koh Chang) is an amphoe (district) in Trat Province, Thailand. It is located on the Gulf of Thailand’s eastern seaboard, 310 km from Bangkok and near the border with Cambodia.
It is the country’s third largest island, and the largest island in the Mu Ko Chang National Park archipelago.
The name means Elephant Island, and comes from the elephant shape of its headland, although elephants are not indigenous to the island. At present, there are 9 villages on the island.
It is a mountainous island, with Khao Salak Phet being the highest peak at 743 metres. The island is known for several waterfalls, thriving coral reefs and rainforests. The island has an area of approximately 217 square kilometers.
Prior to World War II, Ko Chang was little known. During this period, the few families there made a living growing coconuts and fruit.
During World War II, when Thailand was occupied by Japanese forces, Ko Chang was the scene of the 1941 Battle of Koh Chang between the Royal Thai Navy and a Vichy French squadron, in which the French won a decisive victory.
Ko Chang is part of an archipelago of 51 islands, and is approximately 30 km long by 14 km, wide with a total area of 217 km². It is part of the Mu Ko Chang National Park, which covers an area of 650 km², of which 70% is offshore.
The interior of the island is mountainous, covered with tropical rain forest. The highest point is Khao Salak Phet, measuring 743m. There are sandy beaches on the island, dotted with hotels and resorts, in addition to some rocky beaches.
The main settlements on the west coast are around Sai Khao, Hat Kai Mook and Hat Ta Nam, with the village of Bang Bao being situated on the south coast.
Continue reading “Welcome to Koh Chang” »
Some people searching for: